For years, optometrists have paid out of pocket for services that should be fully funded by OHIP. The government must provide funding to stabilize the sector and allow patients to have uninterrupted access to vision care while following public health measures.
- The Ontario government has underfunded optometric eye care for 30 years
- Optometrists now subsidize the delivery of OHIP-covered eye care by $173M a year
- COVID-19 forced optometrists to close their doors resulting in a 75%-plus drop in revenue
- Optometrists will see patient volumes reduced between 40% and 60% resulting in more than two million comprehensive eye exams being wiped out over the next 12 months
- Communities across Ontario are in danger of losing access to optometric care
Therefore, We the undersigned petition the Ontario government to immediately establish a timetable and a process for renewed negotiations concerning optometry fees.
To download a written copy of the petition to the Legislative Assembly of Ontario click here.